Thursday, September 01, 2011

About the Garden...and Giving Back and Hard Times....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This summer I had the world's smallest garden, mostly on my back porch and back steps and tiny little plot, less than 4 by 5 ft. I grew beans, tomatoes, basil, dill, mint, cilantro, and blueberries and lettuce. Flowers, violets, and morning glories and petunias.My little garden was small,but everything I planted seemed to grow. ( There is alot to be said for Manure). This past month I noticed that Someone was taking tomatoes and basil and beans. I also know that the Community Garden up the street is now locked 24/7. So I simply realized that there must be people who are hungry taking some of the vegetables and fruit. So at first I was upset when some of my vegetables vanished, but then I had a change of heart. I realized that True Hunger was making someone take from my tiny garden. I can't be angry if someone is so hungry. 47 Million are on Food Assistance in our Country, 1:4 Children are hungry. We all need to acknowledge that people around us are hurting. So I started leaving fruit out under the Hanging Tomato Plant. And if I made Banana Bread I would leave that out as well. I share with the Birds and Squirrels, I view them as neighbors. So in my heart I know that Another Neighbor is Hungry, and I must do my best to help them as well. Compassion is not an emotion, it requires Action....daily.

No comments: