Thursday, November 05, 2009
4PM :::CNN is updating site on regular basis, 11 Dead, and On shooter dead, 2 More Shooters in custody, more than 31 wounded. Please click title for updates.Shooting occurred at the Readiness Center. Scott&White Hospital near Temple ( 20 minutes from area) is receiving Victims, they are in need of Blood, ALL Types. Please contact them if you are in area and can give blood.
ScottWhite Hospital Contact Information , please do check WHERE to go to give Blood, as they don't want ER flooded. You can also call 254-724-4097 to learn more about Blood Donating, the Hospital needs ALL Types. Round Rock Hospital is now also recieving Gun Shot Victims, I will post that info when I get it.
About Needed Blood::
5:30PM One Alleged Primary Shooter is named by CNN as Major Malik Nadal Hassan (39 or 40 years old) , two others are being held as well. Hassan was shot and killed at scene.He supposedly used two handguns, but details are still coming forth.
6:30PM His name is listed two different ways, also Major Nadil Malik Hassan has a Virginia Psychiatrist , drug rehab specialist, and also worked with PTSD, and it is unclear how many tours he had already done, he was on his way to Iraq. Rather than a Political or Religous Motive, I hope that the PTSD issue is scrutinized closer.He worked at Walter Reed, no details of his life or family at this time. ( Updates from Twitter,Jeremy Schahill and Paul Reikoff) Here is his WalterReed /DC address
MSNBC has footage of first Texas Interview.
Please do not flood region with phone messages. Please do TEXT, as this will free up phone lines.
You can also contact Red Cross and list your status as safe or leave messages They provide this service during crisis or disaster.
Photos from Fort Hood
Breaking News on Rachel at 9PM
During the Maddow show it was revealed that the Shooter is a Psychiatrist and has been working at Water Reed for the past 5 years, and is single and lives alone. He worked with PTSD patients at the StressCenter. We also learned that he is indeed injured and alive, and did survive the attacks, it is odd that we were led to believe for many hours that he was dead or had committed suicide. I am unclear as to what the Facts are and am merely for now posting what is being revealed on Rachel.
More about the Breaking News about the Shooter (YahooNews), YahooNews Report:: This is very strange how now they are re-writing the history of this event , I am having Tillman worries....
Questions about the Shooter
(1) Was he caring for mostly PTSD Patients from Iraq ? Had he himself done any tours in Iraq ? As a Caregiver, he mostly likely could have had a Caseload of up to 700 patients at one time ( that is the Average Caseload for VA Psychological Workers). Dod he have enough support ? Help with his caseload ? Enough Rest and Respite time ? ( Even Caregivers need support and strong work Environment. Lack of Staff and Increased Stress can indeed enable a Dangerous situation. Were any of those killed or wounded his patients ? Was he forced by HigherUps to let PTSD Sufferers return to Iraq ?
10PM UPDATE FROM LA TIMES::
reveals more neewly released info from the Army. (Interesting we have Seen NO statement by Army or Base or Pentagon Folks, or even Gates. So sadly it is just Media Punditheads "reporting" or "speculating".
More from Huffington Post about the Status of the Shooter, raises more questions.
(2) At this point PTSD sufferers are also causing a ripple effect in families ( Military is even studying PTSD in families and caregivers and have not made that Research of Stufies public ). There comes a point when Caregivers Need Care too. I am still curious did he serve in Iraq yet- was this his first time after caring for PTSD patients for 5 years , it makes sense he would be very leery of Iraq. Also has he served on any Rendtition missions ? or at Gitmo ? ( it is a valid question)
(3) In 2007 the Military was giving a variety of Drugs to PTSD patients, including Chantix, and Zoloft that were causing increased Homicidal and Suicidal Urges. ( again this has not been publicly revealed or announced, but I reasarched it in 2008)
(4) Many of the Bases have been coping with Increased Suicides and Acts, and Homicides as well. PTSD needs more funding and study. People with PTSD should not be in Military or returning to Iraq.
(5) The Number of Military Suicides exceeds Civilian Rate... ( WSJ article)
(6) This WaPo Article was posted after MN, About Increased Strain at Fort Hood, due to repeated Deployments. A startlingly honest article about Mental Health Issues for this Base and the Miltiary.
"This year, 117 active-duty Army soldiers were reported to have committed suicide, with 81 of those cases confirmed -- up from 103 suicides during the same period last year. Ten suicides have been reported at Fort Hood this year; more than 75 of its personnel have committed suicide since 2003. Fort Hood's high number of suicides is also linked to the fact that it is the Army's largest base, with more than 53,000 soldiers.An estimated 30 percent of those returning from combat suffer mental health symptoms such as depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress. Such problems grow worse with repeated deployments and the constant exposure to danger and the sights, smells and emotions of seeing others killed or wounded, according to Army mental health surveys."
4AM LA Times update About the Shooter, the Doctor and what led to this moment, that is known so far. Still no information on wounded or their conditions, and Still No Statement by Gates.
I will be posting more information and research related to PTSD here later tonight.
I sincerely hope that Counseling is being offered to the families at Fort Hood after this traumatic tragic event.
I will leave you with this video for the night and some thoughts. We are currently in TWO misguided Botched Warzones right now. The Consequnces have been huge, millions are effected all over the world, but also here at home, think on this the Soldiers come home and see their families abandoned as they lose Jobs, Healthcare and Homes.They themselves come home suffering PTSD, and recieve little if any treatment and can not find work or feel good about their "work" in Iraq or Afghanistan. And add to this, 40,000 of them or more are DISABLED by PTSD, their futures are ruined ( unless they get Proper Compassionate Care.)Suicide Rates within the Military and Homicide Rates are up in the Military, and these issues must be acknowledged. So I leave you with this song as I pray for the Wounded, the Dead, and the families connected to Fort Hood.
John Denver " Where have all the Flowers gone"
10 AM friday update
HuffingtonPost has more this am about the Condition of the Shooter, it is still unclear why they thought he was dead. He is on a ventilator after being shot 4 times. Over nite the number of dead rose to 13 and 28 wounded. Still unclear of wounds to Shooter,and if any were self inflicted (ie brain wound?) .Also were any of those shot people he knew and worked with.
This a photographer's account of what happened when she went to photograph at Fort Hood.