Thursday, December 10, 2009

"A Just and Lasting Peace" President Obama accepts the Nobel Peace Prize


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

President Obama and Michelle leave the event and are embraced and applauded, a moment that we can be proud of...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The event was momentous and I will post more photos later.I was struck that the crowd listened so carefully, and with such silence. The only applause moment was when Obama brought up the importance of the Geneva Conventions, the applause was immediate and forceful and profound. His speech was gracious, humble and amazing. It honored History, he spoke of Leaders that problemsolved and embraced Diplomacy, but he Quoted the great words Community Organizers of Ghandi and Martin Luther King. He also honored the Struggles of Movements of Hope and Change ( Burma and Iran), as well as the bloody struggle of Darfur, the Congo. He spoke of the wars that America is engaged in, not as Bush-speak "Spreading Democracy", but as missions that need resolution ,repair. He did not justify Iraq, he did explain that Afganistan is an unresolved problematic situation. He spoke of Waging Peace, not war, which showed that his goals and values are not carrying forth Bush Warmongering. Perhaps in a way he was setting forth his own Doctrine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do read the Speech linked to the Title, some poignant parts are below.
"So even as we respect the unique culture and traditions of different countries, America will always be a voice for those aspirations that are universal. We will bear witness to the quiet dignity of reformers like Aung Sang Suu Kyi; to the bravery of Zimbabweans who cast their ballots in the face of beatings; to the hundreds of thousands who have marched silently through the streets of Iran. It is telling that the leaders of these governments fear the aspirations of their own people more than the power of any other nation. And it is the responsibility of all free people and free nations to make clear to these movements that hope and history are on their side."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I make this statement mindful of what Martin Luther King said in this same ceremony years ago - "Violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones." As someone who stands here as a direct consequence of Dr. King's life's work, I am living testimony to the moral force of non-violence. I know there is nothing weak nothing passive nothing naïve - in the creed and lives of Gandhi and King."

5 comments:

Fran said...

Honestly, I am not on the same page with you here. I found the speech offensive.
In accepting his Nobel peace prize, Obama used the word "WAR" 43 times.
He also used the words kill, murder, carnage, violence, & justified use of force.
I did a write up on it.... I felt it was an international embarrassment.

Such a high honor, and him bringing this sense of bloodthirst to the Peace Prize.

Not only mentioning it in his speech, but also taking money we need for healthcare, to have more wars.

His actions contradict his words-- he even said peace includes financial stability, jobs & "medicine"..... take a look at your own country, Barack.

I view this as him talking the talk, but not walking the walk.

He should give the prize back & let them award it to Gandhi posthumously.

Quotes from the speech:

So yes, the instruments of war do have a role to play in preserving the peace.

• Really? 6 years in Iraq & 8 in Afghanistan
is preserving the peace?

• He played the Kennedy, Gandhi & King cards, then said of Gandhi & King:

But as a head of state sworn to protect and defend my nation, I cannot be guided by their examples alone. I face the world as it is, and cannot stand idle in the face of threats to the American people.

Oh hell... it just sounds like Bush.
It was a Saudi majority that enacted the 9-11 attack.... but bloodthirsty America has killed more soldiers in wars now than the number of people who died in the 9-11 attacks.

Will we use 9-11 as an excuse forever to continue to have & justify more & more wars?

The blood is on his hands now.

Human said...

Sadly, I can't disagree with you more. I'm with Fran. President Obama has turned out to be just like Bush.Except worse. He's got many a Leftist still thinking he's an Honest & Just man. I'm ashamed I ever campaigned, donated and voted for him. If he had an ounce of integrity he would of refused the Nobel Peace Prize. Not that I hold that award in high esteem. After all Kissinger got it for ending a War that went on for another 2 years after he received his prize.

In other news, the CDC admits that they manufactured the H1N1 virus
Just like I said they did.

Problem. Crisis. Solution. All manufactured by the Racketeers.
Peace.

enigma4ever said...

for now we can agree to disagree...
I respect that we all have different feelings about our country and our president...

I just know that for me..
I don't expect 8 years of the Bush Regime to be repaired over nite...
and I am just grateful to not have Bush or McCain ( or Palin ) in the Whitehouse leading our country...

In many ways I also think that the rest of the world "gave" Obama the Nobel prize- but also it was about recognizing that we as a nation helped bring a change in our country....millions of us.

and you both may feel what you do..
that is fine..

but I was releived and proud that the rest of the world respect him ....

am I happy with all that is going on ..
no.
and am I dissappointed in DC...yes...on many issues...

but I am trying to have hope...
that we can repair all the Bush damage...
there is still alot to be done...I know that..

Fran said...

You are entitled to your opinion as well, I'm just saying for me it was a very bloody, disappointing speech.
If the topic was justifying war, it may have been a good speech, but the topic was the Nobel PEACE Prize... so all that war talk & justifying was offensive & embarrassing to me.

You said:
I am just grateful to not have Bush or McCain ( or Palin ) in the Whitehouse leading our country...

I agree-- no doubt that would have been a deadly duo....

However that does not give the green light to everything Obama does.

I think perpetuating Bush;s wars (plural) will for sure make him a one term president.
He seems to be floundering, and he is taking war advice fro Bush's old staff.... Gates & McChrystal.

He's getting bad advise from bad advisors, and making bad decisions.

Historically Afghanistan is not winnable, and he promised he would exhaust all other options. When the 1st surge in June '09 21,000 troops failed, and after 8 years there... the notion of more of the same will make a difference seems naive & flawed.

Insanity is the idea that if you keep on doing the same thing you will get a different result - plus our finances are such we really can't afford it... both morally & financially.

Anyway, when I look at others who won the prize & the suffering they endured, by the way of non violence....
Obama's speech & actions just seem very wrong to me.

enigma4ever said...

Fran:
I feel like you are not listening to me, I posted what I posted- and then above I said we can agree to disagree ...

I don't want to fight..
I don't want to argue..

I let you state how you felt..
but no, I won't argue with you- that is not where I am with any of this right now..

If you read my post below...about Teabaggers...
and Progressives Sniping....that explains that I am not going to get into arguments /battles with
other progressives- I won't do it..

it is not where I am with any of this...
10 monthes into this hellfest that Bush left us...
yeah...things are not perfect or even good..
at all...

but the Teabaggers and GOP Scum want us all fighting and at each others throats-
The want us fractured and angry..
with each other...
I refuse to give them that spiritual victory...

so as I said..
you feel strongly about Obama and the speech..
and I listened and I understand.....

I can not change anything and
I will not argue with you....
I can only say I hear you.....

peace...