Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Wisdom of Winnie the Pooh




****************************************
*[Click the Title: Kenny Loggins& Messina 1972 Singing House at Pooh Corner]*
***************************************
I saw Kenny Loggins in concert, quite a few times many years ago, and I loved how Kenny told about writing this song when he was 17 in highschool. It was very much written as a coming of age song. I recently told my son this story, and then we ended up having a very interesting discussion about Pooh Bear and what the story Really meant. I was stunned when my son wisely pointed out that this simple story and wonderful book that we all great up with , actually has another point.

6-6 pointed out that actually it is a story about Differences, psychological differences.( 6-6 is a teenager and he has grown up with this book and the stories). He said that sadly he thinks Pooh might indeed have an eating disorder, that he is an emotional eater,and possibly suffers Bulimia. He said poor Piglet is probally suffering PTSD or some anxiety disorder. He said EEyore is depressed. And Tigerr has ADHD.He said that owl is probally suffering some early Alzeimers. He said Rabbit has OCD, but he fears that he enjoys it. And then there is the Christopher, he said that Christopher Robin is actually the psychologist, unknolwingly helping all deal and cope with their problems , as well as accept each other's differences. I was struck by what he said, and that it in many ways made sense.

It's funny how you don't think they are learning and paying attention and you always wonder "What" your children absorb. But in my heart I am grateul to Ol'Pooh Bear.
******************************
So Fran and Fallenmonk in the comments taught me something wonderful about Pooh, and through them I found the Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet, they are both companion books written to better appreciate the Virtue and the Zen of the Pooh Characters. Benjamin Hoff wrote them 10 years apart, and the Te of Piglet focuses more on the wisdom and lessons of the other characters.So to both of them I say Thank You.

6 comments:

Fran said...

Have you read The Tao of Pooh?
Each charachter has their psychosis, and degree of functionality within it. the fact the Pooh bear can get his head stuck in the honey jar & keep calm, has an element of Zen.

Quotes from 'The Tao of Pooh'

"Those who have no compassion have no wisdom. Knowledge, yes; cleverness, maybe; wisdom, no. A clever mind is not a heart. Knowledge doesn't really care. Wisdom does."

"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast? said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
"It's the same thing," he said.

fallenmonk said...

The 'The Tao of Pooh' is a wonderful and insightful book and is a wonderful introduction to Zen thinking in a clever way. I have passed out dozens of copies over the years and in many cases triggered further exploration into the philosophy of Zen. I highly recommend it. Not to mention that I grew up with Christopher Robin and his friends and still consider them some of the finest writing for children ever followed closely by Beatrix Potter.

Gryphen said...

Are you kidding me?

I love Winnie the Pooh!

If my daughter had been a boy she would have been named Christopher.

And not only that I have sitting on my desk right at this moment (I keep forgetting to take it to work with me) the Kenny Loggins CD "Return to Pooh Corner".

So for me your post was a twofer!

I swear Enigma I would marry you, but I like you too much to do that to you. (It always ends badly)

Have a great evening!

enigma4ever said...

Gryphen....sigh...I am so sorry that you are all the way in Alaska...we could go see a kenny concert...I had a feeling you too might enjoy some Pooh....( ahhh, you make me blush..I don't think the ol enigma will ever marry again...sigh)

Monk and Fran: thank you I am going to have to get the Tao of Pooh...wonderful idea...I need more and more Zen...( and me saying that is very UnZen..oh well...)

torridon1 said...

Ive read those books and enjoyed them !!! Alma Tadema ! by the way was a man !! no worries !! i enjoy and agree with what you say !! best wishes !!

Anok said...

Catching up on my blog reading, I just wanted to say how much I love, love ,love the Tao of Pooh. I read it years ago, and its one of those books that stuck with me.

Another great [children's] book is "Zen Shorts" by Jon J Muth. Awesome - I read it regularly just to stay grounded in what it means to be Zen.