Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thursday Night Music : Dedicated to Paul Newman....

Paul Newman riding the bike in "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid" the great BJ Thomas Song, " Raindrops Keep falling on my Head"..... Watch him as he does tricks for "Etta"...Really Beautiful song and Video.


The Famous "JUMP" Scene from Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid....2 minutes of pure magic...If you don't remember this scene....you must watch....it will make you smile....


When I was growing up my favorite summer memories are going to the movies with my Grandmother Flo.....I have written about her before, she was beautiful....Soft Auburn wavy hair, very gentle and classy with blue eyes....In the summer the lingering Lemon Lavendar Estee Lauder would waft behind her on the summer breeze....She loved the romantic movies, and the great mysteries. There was nothing better than sitting in the Cool Dark theater and drink tall Fountain Soda Cokes, and dig through her bag of goodies. She would pack NonPariels and Almonds and Silbers Cookies in her purse...and lots of tissue. She took me to my first Bond and First Redford and Newman Movies.She took me when I was eight to see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid....twice.

Paul Newman totally won my heart that summer. This movie led me to all of his movies, and I was awestruck. There are many great movies. If you have not seen the "Long Hot Summer", you must rent it. In thise beautiful Steamy movie, it is obvious that he and Joanne Woodward were passionately in love, and they have been together ever since. Fifty years in Hollywood Marriage standards is quiet remarkable.

He has not only made so many wonderful movies, he has put his money where his heart is. He set up Newmans Own, a company where all the profits go to so many good charities. Atleast 200 Million have been given to so many good causes and charities. The Company makes healthy foods, salad dressing, coffee, salsa,Chips, popcorn,Amazing Spaghetti Sauce and even chocolates...Some of the money goes to The Hole In the Wall Gang, which is his organization that helps thousands of children go to camp every summer.He is very political in a quiet way, he supported Eugene McCarthy back in 1968, and earned a spot on Nixon's Enemies' List. He also supported Ned Lamonts run and Chris Dodd presidential bid. He lives in Connecticutt quietly with his wife of 50 years Joanne Woodward.He has children and grandchildren, and his private life has remained private, it is something he protects and relishes. Other than his Racing Career, he has been quietly living beneath the Hollywood radar.He was due to Direct "Mice and Men " this year, but due to health issues, that has been put in hold as of May 2008.

There have been many rumors and speculation about Paul Newman's Health in recent monthes. The one rumor is that he is battling Lung Cancer. I don't know what the Truth is, I do know he looks gaunt, and I really want to respect his privacy....but I lost my grandmother to Breast and Lung Cancer....if he is battling Lung Cancer...It is a hard Road. So maybe send some prayers and Light his way...

({Click the Title to learn more about Newman's Own }}

{{{ Scroll down to Old Man McCoot Week in Review, and a "review: of his First Town Hall aka Nauseum in the Round...and Also My IRS Experience "Getting Stimulated", and other goodies....}}}

9 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Paul Newman has always seemed as if he is a really great guy who managed to keep his integrity and his principles through his long career. I heard about him having cancer and I hope he beats it. Thanks for the memories.

enigma4ever said...

Maui::
you are more than welcome...he is a good guy...so sad about the cancer...I think about him, and I eat Newmans own almost everyday.....that he did something so thoughtful....we need more Pauls' in the world...

Angie said...

Both clips bring back memories of watching these movies with my mom. Thanks for the reminder to start watching some of the good classic movies with my kids. I think this weekend I'll make a list. Thinking of Paul Newman and his family.

DivaJood said...

He is such an intensely private man - I've had a crush on him since I was a child, since he was in the film "Exodus." God, was he gorgeous. He still is gorgeous, at 83.

Just a side note: I was an extra in the movie "The Color Of Money," and between takes, Paul Newman just cracked us all up. And yes, his eyes really are that blue.

enigma4ever said...

Diva:::
wow....I am so envious....and yes indeedy he is gorgeous at 83.....I have read that he really is funny and that he adlibs alot ( the Sting, Butch Cassidy etc..)
Now I did not know he was in Exodus...( I read the book so long ago...I have never see the movie...now I willl) ....I gotta say- you are some kind of Extra ;-)

Angie:::
I am glad that some happy memories came back....and yeah....my son and I have been Netflxing...watching the greats...it is special....have a good summer with yours...

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

i sale paul newman dog food in my store for dogs lol

enigma4ever said...

hey torrance...
Dogfood?? really....see I would buy it...( I am hooked on his coffee and his salsa...)
lol...

( ahhh, I would buy it for the dog...not me !!)

Robert Rouse said...

I met Paul Newman in 1994 right after his friend and racing legend Mario Andretti appeared in a music video with me. He's as down to earth as they come. I don't know what to believe about his cancer. This is from today's San Francisco Gate:

A friend and business partner of movie veteran Paul Newman has fired back at reports that quote him confirming the actor is battling cancer.

A.E. Hotchner claims he was misquoted in an Associated Press article, in which he reportedly said Newman is battling "a form of cancer and he's dealing with it."

The angry writer says, "I saw him (Newman) last week and he seemed fine. I have no knowledge of any diagnosis."

"The AP misquoted me. I have no knowledge of Mr. Newman being treated for any illness."
Associated Press bosses are standing by their story.

Newman's health hit the headlines again at the beginning of the week when the Los Angeles Times newspaper reported the 83-year-old had been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. A representative for the actor refuses to confirm or deny the cancer reports, stating only that Newman is "doing nicely."

enigma4ever said...

Robert::
so good that you got to meet him...I found some photos from April and May, and I hate to say it- he does look like he is battling Something Big....( I did not post the photos...I am sure that is now how he wants people seeing him....)

I did also get an email about him canceling Mice & Man Directoring role a few weeks ago...and that people thought that was signifigant...really sad...because he had looked forward to that for a long time....

AHotchner is a good friend...he is who he started the Newmans Own with...I don't know what is what....I do know the photos to me showed someone that is indeed sick...

it never hurts to send prayers and light....even if we are unsure....He is a good man..and has done much good.....