Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Funeral Review at the Enigma Cafe.....( and it ain't pretty)





I was not going to blog...really. I was taking a break...Really.
Now that being said.... Please know I mean NO Disrespect to the Dead....
I really don't....Really.

*^*^*^*^* ACT ONE OF FUNERAL-RAMA ^*^*^*^*^*^*
So the First Funeral Was James Brown the Godfather of Soul Mid Saturday Afternoon...I was surfing around and expected to see either more Hanging Updates or Ford Procession Updates ( which begs me to ask How Many times can they show the Limos on the tarmac ?...ok, don't ask....).

**** I need to clarify my son and I got hooked on watching these funerals during last couple of years, the Reagon Funeral with his son Ron blasting Bush a new one was Priceless, and then the Rosa Parks Funeral- one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The other one that my son and I actually even taped was Coretta Scott King. It is about Honor, and how we as a people are forgetting how to Honor Who we are...or What we have lost. Now that it is Clear, there is a shortage of Honor in one of these Funerals- you can guess Which ....****

Now this was the oddest thing I have ever seen, for the most part, not a bad funeral, lots of really good music, and Al Sharpton speaking his mind. ( Michael Jackson still creeps me out I confess). Now the part that left a dent on my brain, all week we learned that the James Family does not well, "like" his wife of the past five years, Tomi Rae, matter of fact , they are disputing that she is even his wife. Now that being said. She Somehow worked her way to the stage...and then when she got there she leaned way over the casket, like she was going to climb in it or drench him with tears, lurching like a hungry vulture, it was like some kind of Scary Opera, Such Effect.

Now WHY it made The Never Before Funeral List...So there she is leaning over, looking like the Scorned Lover ( that she is) and Looking Postively Stricken, and PEOPLE IN THE AUDIENCE started BOOING HER AND YELLING THINGS AT HER. I have been to a fair number of funerals ( part of being a nurse). So She Who is Scorned looks up and out at the Audience with a look that would or could Kill, and then she plucks a Rose from the closest Mammoth Arrangement...and then she struts off with an Attitude and Swagger that singed the stage....I swear there was smoke in her trail.

*^*^*^*^* ACT TWO of FUNERAL-RAMA*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Okay Now Evening dawns and It is time for the Ford Show. So the Ford Caravan finally arrives in the Rotunda, my son is humming the "Convoy" song, and they show the beautiful Lit Stairway that the Mourners and the Casket is going to be Lifted up...and I am sitting there thinking , wow, that is a Whole Lot of Steps. ( Son pipes up " oh, look the Stairway to Heaven). I however could almost hear the Rocky music in my head. ( And yes, I even looked for it on YouTube). I could picture Young Bodies Leaping up the steps, but I could also picture Old Statesmen falling down the stairs. ( Oh, come on it was FORD"S Funeral, we could have had Chevy there giving Lessons for heavens sakes). So my son says "Wow, talk about Cruel Irony , Did they have to have the Stairs cause it 's Ford's Funeral- that seems kind of tacky."

So we both chuckled, but the cameras start showing the Geezer Contention gingerly creeping and crawling out of the cars, and 6-6 says" So are they going to make all of them do the stairs ? wow, Hope someone packed a defibrillator". We laughed and ate more chips.

Then they show everyone filing into the Rotunda, it's lovely somber, but with a bit of a chill. I sit and wonder if Woodward is there, and how many old GOP "Dignataries" HEARD the Ford-Now-that -I-am-dead- Screw -you-Bush-you-done-Iraq -wrong -tape ? I would say by watching the Frosty Reunion- Quite a Few Heard the Esteemed Tape. Rummy is nowhere to be seen ( something about Storms Delayed his arrival) and then Cheney looks bothered and inconvenienced, like a man that ran out of hemmorhoid cream on a Mexican Vacation. Cheney is susposed to be "attending" to Betty, he glances her way every now and then , as cozy as row 3 on the Greyhound Bus to Dayton. Cheney and his own wife did not speak to each other at all , or make eye contact.

Now before the "Festivities" get roaring along, Everyone has risen, or is already standing, and it doesn't look like there are any chairs. ( Kind of a Rummy Funeral I guess ?). And then there is some kind of singing, but over behind Betty you can see some kind of Scuffle and Scurrying going on. 6-6 says," Oh shit one of geezers bit the dust- that is a bad omen". So we surf the channels and sure enough all of them are trying to get different angles on it. Commentator; " Oh we don't have to worry,Senator Frist is there, He's a Doctor." Son: "OMG. That's it- for sure he's a goner, poor guy, Gee I hope Someone call 911."

( Now I apologize but this is gallows humor- he has grown up with nothing but nurses about, and at 15 what do you expect? Tea and Sympathy?. Truth be told as of VERY late Saturday Night, we know little, except that it was Congressman William Broomfield, and he was taken by ambulance to the hospital on Oxygen looking very pale , and pasty, and not very good. Poor Guy. The film of him getting put in the ambo was cut from other channels but we caught it on cspan.).

Now about Betty Ford, this is the Pearls and Swine part of the Program.. What a lady ,so regal, even in her tiny stature she diminishes all around her. She has Bearing, or my grandmom would say " Presence". She has Class. And even in grief she was tall and proud, majestic really, navigating through those shark infested GOP "Mourners". She barely acknowledged the Swine. At one point on her way to the casket for her evening Goodbye, she gracefully manuvered out of Cheney's Grasp and worked her way to her son, like a woman swimming to shore. She never even gave Cheney a sideglance or any eye contact. It was stunning.

And when she was about to go into the Rotunda, the Military Brass ALL saluted her- it was very beautiful. I was really moved by That and I kept wondering if that was about Ford being in the Navy, or More about what he said about Iraq. Either way ...

( BTW there was No Daddy Bush and No Junior either, JR must still be down there at the Ranch clearing Brush, "Southern Comfort" syle.)

So there were the Obligatory Pomp and Circumstance Speeches, except it was their delivery that was so striking. ( We actually made popcorn for this part-it was worth it). Ted-where-is-my-damn-bridge-to-nowhere Stevens can not read a eulogy, that was a hoot, his delivery must have been from years of watching Bush. I have seen my cat fight her way out of a wet paper bag with more dignity. The we had Denny-I-Need-another-Whopper- Hastert, both he and Stevens sounded so Peevish and Petulent, so dispairingly annoyed with having to say Something ( when they know they can kiss their but -we- should -still- have- the- power- asses goodbye). They were like kids that arrive late to a Birthday party and the gift bags are all gone, and they still have to stay and pretend to have manners.There was a good bit of rather irritated Drivel about how Ford was a "Healer", and a "Rock", and "he kept the Country together through Dark Times" ( ahem, that means Another Time of Criminal Corruption ). How "HIS PARDON Basically Saved America from worst Crisis and Destiny". ( Enigma spewed Dr.Pepper and popcorn out her nose at about this point, while yelling "Oh, Kiss my ass" at the TV). Then there was some kind of crap about "Forward" and Forgiveness". ( and I heard alot of coughing in the Rotunda too). I wished I had been there I would have coughed "Bullshit:".

Okay I confess I did not Listen to ALL of it, I did suffer the Hastert and Stevens Acts, but the dog had to poop, so Cheney's Time seemed the best time to go take care of that. So yes, I missed Cheney, but I did see him start, standing at the podium looked inconvenienced. ( As a waitress I have seen that "Will someone please bring the godamn check " look a 1000 times. ). All three speeches had an Icey Edge, ominous, almost threatening....and yet the Commentators kept saying how "honoring" the eulogies were. I guess I only heard The Edge not the Empty Words.

See I see it this way, WE NEVER HEALED FROM WATERGATE AND THAT IS WHY WE HAVE THESE GODAWFUL CRIMINALS IN THE WHITEHOUSE RIGHT NOW...CAUSE IF FORD HADN'T PARDONED NIXON, IT WOULD BE A WHOLE DIFFERENT HISTORY WE ARE LIVING RIGHT NOW.
( Hey my blog is Watergate Summer- did you think I would let this "Oh What a Hero Crap" slide ???)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

WE NEVER HEALED FROM WATERGATE AND THAT IS WHY WE HAVE THESE GODAWFUL CRIMINALS IN THE WHITEHOUSE RIGHT NOW...CAUSE IF FORD HADN'T PARDONED NIXON, IT WOULD BE A WHOLE DIFFERENT HISTORY WE ARE LIVING RIGHT NOW.

I sat through it all....getting stoned on Nacho's and pure apple juice..... Hitler had a better send off, certainly more sincere. The JB weeping widow thing....I guess I'm more macabre than you, for I actually laughed!! I muttered thru a mouthful of nacho's: "Show me the money, suckers!!"

President Ford was from my home state, Michigan. When he pardoned Nixon, I knew then he wasn't the saint everybody wanted to make him; he was the enabler of more criminality, and it's evidenced today in spades!!

But the lack of "respect" from the "Republican Party" for "one of their own"....does that speak volumes or what? When Cheney got up there, I muted it, and voiced over for him: "Can we get this bastard in the ground and get out of here?"

I admire and savor your courage to tell it like it was - a fucking abortion, excuse my bad manners this one time.

Last night was 10,692 reruns of the noose being put around Bush's twin's neck......

You and I aren't the sick ones. Conversely, we're the keepers of truth!

I salute you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enigma4ever said...

I salute you as well..I guess we were spewing and cursing at the same parts....lordy- these people are hideous..watching Cheney get up to speak ...it was like watching him wipe dog shit on the coffin..and it's funny cause I watched Tomi Rae Brown get the Horrendous Booing Treatment at the Godfather funeral- but that looked So Cozy compared to the Ford Funeral...

( This is my first Funeral Review on my blog- but the Repugs know how to Screw Everything up so badly...as 6-6 said"wow, they even know how to Katrina a Funeral for One of Their Own..surprised they didn' t have Brownie do a Eulogy- they are on a roll).

I guess what really got me was it was NewYears Eve weekend- and we the Noose Show with rope tying and ski masks and then this shit....it sucked.period.
( and on like a gazillion channels too)

Coffee Messiah said...

Did not watch Ford.....just too much. That neither Rummy nor Cheney said anything up to yesterday
was telling also. It boggles the mind about those republicans ; (

I thought Sharpton was at top form, and attempting to express to all the brothers and sisters, where
he mentioned MLKing and came forward, and talked about all the work they did, and how not to let it get
away as it seems to be, was very powerful in that respect.

Where are the people that can say positive things and bring people together? I've not seen any you can trust
in years! ; (

My Best to you and your son for the New Year! Cheers!

enigma4ever said...

Yeah CM the Brown Funeral was so powerful...and meaning ful...he Remembered What mattered... The polarity of these two funerals was stunning...

( and poor old Broomfield the MSM fogot all about him hitting the floor)

and the Damn eulogies saying that Ford helped heal the Country- through troubled times....HA??? no People were Pissed.....and some of us still are...

enigma4ever said...

as of 7am Sunday CNN is reporting that Broomfield was "treated" by Dr.Frist and he now FINE???? WTF??? what a load- he was taken to the hospital- and Frist had NOTHING to do with it- who the helll does their fact checking....
( Whlep looks like I have to send the CNN folks another Are you Dumb or what email- geez)

meldonna said...

I think Chevy may have given up the "Jerry tumble" portion of his act these days; he's no spring chicken himself, and Lord knows this dog and pony show has had enough causualties as it is.

I also think they had the right idea down at James' sendoff. Celebrate a life...and cry for the loss another day.

Spadoman said...

I didn't watch any of it. Even Brother James'. I get my funeral news from E4E's site. Better captions there for sure.

enigma4ever said...

Spado and Mel: Welcome...yup if you have to watch the Funeral , have a seat and I will get the chips...The Brown Funeral was definently the one to see, the Song Trouble was so right on....

Celebrating Life. now that is not a Repug Theme Mel ???

DivaJood said...

Personally, I thought James Brown's funeral(s) have been quite entertaining and in keeping with his Larger Than Life status.

CNN has stopped fact checking. That's so last-century.

And Mel, you're absolutely right about Chevy - he took one too many falls, and has back problems.

Anonymous said...

Didn't watch the Ford extravaganza. Sorry I missed the JB funeral. That one sounds like fun.

Haven't been watching much TV lately. I just knew the networks and cable would be eulogizing Ford's wonderful "bringing-us-out-of-the-Long-National Nightmare-and healing-the-nation-by-pardoning Nixon." Barf. Ford was an enabler of presidential criminality.

I was so nauseated by the Reagan death orgy that I wasn't about to go through another such experience. Now I know how people in the Soviet Union regarded Isveztia in the bad old days of the USSR. (I wonder what Olbermann's take on it was.)

But ENIGMA's angle on it all is so funny and right on that she encourages me to take another look at the lying popular culture that we call "news." I guess the lesson to be learned from her Jerry Ford post is that these blowhards strutting on the national political stage are not to be taken seriously. Laugh at them. Maybe that's really the best way to defeat these clowns. Laughter is the best way to deflate these pompous lying sacks of crap.

For parallel historical reference, I cite The Great Dictator, by Charlie Chaplin.

vanillabirdies said...

I saw James Brown in concert last new years eve, he was amazing. I was very sad to hear of his passing.

I'm so sick of the Ford funeral coverage.

Happy New Year Enigma ;)

enigma4ever said...

VB: Happy New Year !!!! I was sad too, but somehow Christmas day was so Right On....And about the Ford Coverage- well, I have pretty much stomached enough...
I had a feeling I was not alone- pretty bad when you make a decision to make popcorn to watch the Debacle.

( the BEST Funeral last year was Rosa Parks....Now that was a funeral...)

I watch these with my son, because they are about Honoring Someone, or sometimes in Fords Case about Honoring what was lost....Our Honor when he Pardoned HIS friend.....Newsguy is right- he enabled this crap to continue and bloom...

NEWSGUY: I think we have to laugh at these assclowns, there is alot to be learned from Dave, John Stewart, and Colbert- without these guys I would have Elvised my TV two years ago.....Now I admit I am a BIT cynical...but hey- I am sane...and so are you...I don't watch the news the way I used to - it is more to see WHAT they missed today....( sorry)...Now that said the Blogs and Internet have enriched my newsjunkie side the way TV never could have....

DIVA: Yup...fact checking - how plebian of me...ha!?!?!?
And poor Chevy- I hope his pain was worth it- and in a way I think it was...and if you think about it- he really was the First Comedian that gave us all permission to really laugh at a "leader"....and I hate to say it- it did make that first year of SNL Spectacular.....Happy New Year Dear !!!!!

enigma4ever said...

Okay...so No One has commented on the George Bush Funeral Home...I am so bummed..jus kiddn'...

6-6 pointed out " hey it has a Drive Through feature".....

eekgads...he 's right...dead on as usual....

Anon-Paranoid said...

Well enigma for one thing its too small for all the dead bodies Der Fuehrer has sent to it.

And for another like 6-6 says about the drive thru, there coming in so fast that they just throw them out the back of the trucks as they drive through. They don't have time to stop and more and more keep coming in.

After all one look in Der Fuehrer Bush's eye's and see the blackness of death tells the story all by itself.

That is the true reflection of our Dictator.

God Bless.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to say I caught NONE of it. Zip. Nada. Hey, after you've lived through it, why waste an ounce of beautiful mind. But !!!! Your coverage, Enigma, was worth it. You got me laughing about it & that's good.

Then on some talk show today, Bob-brown-nose-Schieffer reminded us of why he loved to make fun of Ford's clumsiness back in the day ... "Nelson Rockefeller was just one banana peel away from the presidency" ... and I'm thinking, oh no, couldn't have that, not a liberal republican (remember those?)!

hmm, I agree with Anon-paranoid's view of the funeral bldg. Plus it looks like it's in a seedier part of town. What else to expect from bush ... can't be wasting money to honor the dead ... the public trough is only open to haliburton warpigs nowadays. ~~ D.K.

Unknown said...

I believe as you do, that we never healed..we just pushed the Nixonian bullshit into the back of our minds. We should of put him on trial..we needed to see what the price was for all his lies,spying and deaths.

Maybe then, people like the Shrub would have more respect for the office they hold.

sumo said...

I'm late for the party...but it was all so lovely the way you described it...wish I had been there to have popcorn and (not a pepper fan) insert another soda here...I'd have yelled at the TV too. I did think the George Bush Funeral Home a great touch just the same.