Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Compassion Deficit: Post Mortem of the Faith Forum at Saddleback


I watched the Faith Forum ( or whatever it was called) tonight on TV, and sat documenting the Questions and the Answers. My son asked me" You are not a Christian, why are you watching?" I explained to him that I have watched the Evangelicals put a stranglehold on Issues, and leaders and the last two election processes. (Actually for me at this point I feel like am merely documenting a really bad car accident- merely noting the blood loss and the bandages used.) I explained to my son, I can not control or contribute to the dialogue, but that I can pay attention and note the Answers, because the answers sadly may indeed effect the Future for all of us. He nodded and sat and watched the Discussion as well.

Some of the Questions were disturbing, but some were actually thought provoking. And I thought Obama answered thoughtfully and with clarity. McMaverick pandered, and did his stomp speech and basically tried to convince one and all that being a POW and sharing his tales makes him a better person and ready to lead. Considering he avoided answering most questions it really left me more worried about his mental status. And also what bothered me is that pretty much anything he said recieved applause.He was Militaristic from the very first answer, naming General Betrayus as one of his spiritual heros?

I did also notice that Obama did try to answer honestly as possible and also did indeed try to bring up issues of concern, the economy, the poverty issues and the struggles of Day to Day Americans. He even brought up Issues about Compassion and Empathy being needed to confront the problems we face as a nation. At this point all of us are seeing daily how bad things are here, from friends out of work to friends losing their homes to VETS coming back damaged and lost. We are witnessing daily why we need Compassion.

I have been saying for over 3 years on this blog that we have a Compassion Deficit in this Country. But I also think that if people do not know or realize HOW BAD things are in this Country then the Deficit applies to outside our Country. We have been trying to save our country, and even fight 2 stolen Elections. We have written letters, protested, worked the phones, blogged everything and in great detail. And this Election, yes, we have stomped, knocked on doors, worked phone banks and yes, given hard earned money.And yes, some of us have Watched ALL the debates ( Heaven help us-even the Repug ones )and yes even read all books and websites and educated ourselves and our neighbors. And yes, we have hopemongered, giving each other support and pep talks.And yes, as a Nurse and a Mom I am very serious about What I am doing with this blog..and why I blog, it is no longer "Just a Blog" or "Just Politics".

And yes, I have friends and visitors from all over who come to this blog, from UK, Spain, Japan,Canada, Asia and Down Under, and Scotland, Holland and Wales, most are supportive and understanding that we are trying our very damnest to save what is left of this battered Country. And most more than appreciate that the Bushco Regime Stole the Last Two Elections. They speak with compassion and hope and share our angst and our sadness that our Country is so battered. They understand the silent huge Battle we are waging as Bloggers. And to them I say Thank You and that I am grateful for your insight and your wisdom and your willingness to look at the issues and what we are fighting, a Corporatized Theocracy ( or is it a Theocratic Corporatocracy?)

I hope and pray that OUR Country does find it's Compassion and its Moral Compass again.....until then I am fighting back with my keyboard, documenting the damage day by day...And I try to blog with my head and my heart, and I am listening with my head and my heart, because I am trying to make sure there is way to connect all of us and keep our Humanity Intact...
and maybe give a better Country and Future to our children.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Compassion is sometimes the fatal capacity for feeling what it is like to live inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.”
Frederick Buechner quotes (American Author, b.1926)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.”
Dalai Lama (Head of the Dge-lugs-pa order of Tibetan Buddhists, 1989 Nobel Peace Prize, b.1935)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“It is lack of love for ourselves that inhibits our compassion toward others. If we make friends with ourselves, then there is no obstacle to opening our hearts and minds to others.” Dalai Lama

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click the Title to link to Article that has the "Evil " Question dissected.
Art by Imogene Cunninghma, and Julia Cameron.

9 comments:

Christopher said...

OK, Barack.

You've knelt before another leader of the Christian Conservative movement, making the case that you worship Christ and not Allah.

I get it.

We get it.

They get it.

For Christ's sake, enough with the fellating the Christian Conservatives. Enough.

If both McCain and Obama aren't comfortable with the separation of church and state, there's a place called Iran they can relocate to where prayer is mandated 5 times a day.

Kellybelle said...

Hey! Thanks again for posting, I just couldn't watch. And I'm a Christian! LOL.

I posted about what I read and the post show post mortem. Sigh.

One things I saw Barack say was that a lot of evil has been perpetrated in the name of God. He was IMHO elluding to the Iraq war, but also slavery, bombing Japan. I didn't hear any applause when he said that, but it was the truth.

Except for the same sex marriage dodge, we should be proud of Barry for trying to gently persuade the theives out of the temple.

On behalf of Jesus' more compassionate followers, I apologize for the foolishness of some of my less theologically savvy brothers and sisters.

Smalltown RN said...

how eloquantly said.....Compassion and empathy, something so few people understand....if we could find compassion for our fellow man how things could change...

I did not hear any of the debates you reference...but the last comment by Kellybelle speaks volumes....many many a war has been fought in the name of Reglion and God and that is always what I find so difficult....your god whether it be Allah,Buddha,or Krishna, would not want war and death in their name...are they not the leaders of LOVE and Compassion and Empathy....

Very thought provoking my friend...

enigma4ever said...

KellyBelle:::
You don't have to apologize for anyone's foolishness....that is for sure...you have compassion, and you are wise....You are so right about that Evil Question..and yes, McMaverick answered that question so differently...

I too thought that Obama did his best to answer the questions and really thought about it...there were a couple of real silent moments....my son said "well, maybe he just gave them Something to Think about, Silence is a good thing"......I hope he is right...

And you are right- We were very proud of him ....felt like he showed who he really is....and he really is a man that has a good heart...and is trying to spiritually live a life honoring his beliefs.....For me...I know if there is ever a moment of crisis...this man as our president....would pray and also be thoughtful and listen to the advice of others....that matters...

thanks again;-)

Chris:
I watched because I want to hear Obama's answers...and the questions were interesting, like Kelly said- esp. the Evil Question....

NEWSGUY said...

All too often, anti-intellectualism rules in this country. This attitude puts Obama at a disadvantage. The country "elected" Bush because he's a good ol boy, the kind you'd like to have a beer with. How'd that work out for us?

This is the age of Unreason. There's a recent book out about that. The candidate with the forceful, simplistic macho answer wins. The one with the nuanced, thoughtful answer is labeled "effete" or "elitist" as if it is a sin to actually give thought and reflection to an issue. The American electorate too often doesn't want thought or reflection. It wants reaction, force, military solutions.

Bomb em. That's the answer. Negotiate? Nah. Not so much.

enigma4ever said...

Sub:::
once again you are the Voice of Wisdom in the dark room..."The Age of UnReason"....and how the macho -ism is ruling critical thinking processes...

RN::
Maybe it is that you are a nurse- but that was also eloquently put ....that empathy and comassion are so needed....on so many levels....I too do not understand even why they are only valued in a religous concept...and yes, people that fight under or for religous reasons I do not understand...

Missy said...

Very well done. I'm glad you use your blog this way.

And you're more on top of this than I am, for sure. :bows down: You are a warrior, I am a beginner.

I thought the event was tonight. I got an email notice about it this morning. :)

Oh well. Carry on.

Ingrid said...

Substitute is so right; this is the age of unreason and "anti-intellectualism" does rule, especially in the Rick Warren circles..blech..I'm with Christopher on this one as well.. for crying out loud do not give the super conservative self righteous any more cause for feeling important because they aren't!!
check out this book; The age of American unreason by Susan Jacoby.

hugs

Ingrid

Anonymous said...

Well said, Enigma. For a nation that bleats so loudly about our wealth, superiority and "Christian" principles, we're woefully deficient in caring for those who would be categorized "the least among us."

Professing compassion may be politically expedient, but without actions to back it up, it does nothing for those who could really use a true offering of compassion.