Tuesday, August 01, 2006

98 FUCKING DEGREES

The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony




AND NO IT ISN'T JUST THE NAME OF A CRAPPYASS 90'S BOY BAND.


How HOT is it ?
Now the joke is that is the 4pm temp in Downtown Cleveland ( that is minus the nebulous Heat Index added in). Hasn't been that hot since 1917- so oh great the only people that remember this Kind of Fucking Heat are already Dead.

SO HOW HOT IS IT?
Well, I will tell you....
So Hot that:
1. Lilly my intrepid pup has to hop while she pees.
2. My I-can-Survive-Anything Flip Flops melted and cracked on a Mission Quest in seach of NO FEAR Energy Drinks.
3.I burnt the inner cannulas of my ears because there was Cheap-ass-CVS-METAL earbuds I was wearing during the NO FEAR Quest.....( this is The Song I was walking around listening to during the Quest, it is the Perfect Urban Trudging song).
4.I walked into a mailbox because I was too busy fantasizing about the HEAT WAVE CURE I have Blogged next post......

So Tell me your Heat Wave Horror Stories and Also Your CURES:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, your flip-flops melted?!? As a survivor of both Palm Springs & Las Vegas, I'll state some of the obvious: confine outdoor activities to before 10AM or after 10PM (if you can, take a cue from south of the border & do the Siesta thing). Always park in the shade, put up that solar screen, crack the windows, & NEVER EVER leave any living thing inside your car in the summer! Finish every shower with cold water (to close up your pores). Freeze bottled water & take it with you whenever you go outside. Reapply sunscreen often! If the power grid goes down, go to your local library, movie theatre, mall or any public A/C'd place for the afternoon. Check on your parents or other seniors often. Remember your furry friends: if they're not indoors in the A/C, they need cool shade & lots of water. These are bad days; we need to take care of each other. D.K.

Anonymous said...

cure = move north (or south if you happen to be closer to antartica)

I hear there's some prime real estate which will be available in Greenland just as soon as the ice finishes melting...shouldn't be too much longer...and we won't have to worry about displacing any of the indigenous people...they'll be dead or dying because the wildlife that supports them will have all died off...

global warming needs a new name..."warming" sounds so innocuous...ooooo, we're all going to be WARM..how about fried, baked or parboiled???

enigma4ever said...

Maine Friend and DK-
thanks for coming by my melted complaining little blog....funny no one offered me some cures ( see proof that there is NO cure...)

meldonna said...

maineiac's right -- we should call it global heating, at the very least.

I shared the following with spadoman for low-tech heat relief:

Mel's "po' man's air conditioning"?

1. Equipment
a. 15" electric fan on high
b. plant (or cat) spray bottle

2. Attire
a. Wife-beater tee-shirt
b. loose cotton shorts (boxers perfectly acceptable)

3. Operation
a. Fill bottle with cool water
b. Adjust to fine mist
c. Run fan on high
d. Stand three to five foot in front of fan
e. Spray mist toward fan
f. Say "aaaaaaaah!"
g. Repeat as necessary.

My folks back down south have always kept a fan "out on the porch"; shade and breeze does wonders. Then again, so does a popsicle stuck down one's short!

hope ya'll be chillin'

Unknown said...

I know you folks are uncomfortable, but you must keep it all in perspective.

It was between 109-111 for two solid friggin weeks here in central cali. The humidity was off the charts making the operation of my evaporative cooler, well..non-existant. The dairy cows were dropping like flies and caused the governator to declare a state of emergency..not for the folks..but for the cow carass' that were piling up. We lost over 161 souls during this heatwave and most if not all were poor or elderly..or both.

Unknown said...

umm..that word is carcass..jeez.

Beth said...

Enigma,

This life certainly is bittersweet. I loved this song when it came it out.