Sunday, August 06, 2006

HAPPY ONE YEAR BIRTHDAY TO THE ENIGMA CAFE




Okay so it is the Birthday for the Enigma Cafe here at Watergate Summer.I have ordered plenty of cake and ice cream.I have brought out party hats and little goodie bags ( you know the kind that have stale candy and gum). And hell, I am not sure but I heard a bit of clinking in the back of Ice and Glass and I think Mel, Dk, Dusty, and Dada, and Rory are concocting a "PUNCH".And Lilly is sitting here licking drippings off the old lineoleum, and the cat is asleep on the coffee maker. And Mr 6-6 ( yeah my 15 yr old son is hanging streamers from the ceiling as only he can.
And hell, I have even dusted and polished The Counter and even the Foul Language Jar.
( or as Honorable Son calls it " The College Fund".)

So here is the truth last summer after much ranting and raving and yelling at the TV, I decided I really needed a Blog, I had been reading them since 2004, and it wasn't really helping me fall in love with our country again. I was still using more profanity than a sailor on drunken shore leave and my blood pressure was still in the Yikes Zone. ( Now it is just in the Occasional Oh, Well Shit Happens Zone).

I named the Blog Watergate Summer, the summer of 2005 because it reminded me of the Nixon Years when the Unraveling of a pack of Crooks began and the Heat and Scrutiny Rose and the Poll Numbers tanked. So in a sadistic way it became a Summer of Promise and Hope that the Tuth would be revealed on many many fronts. I do think Many Many UGLY Truths have indeed been revealed, and peeled back like a rotted onion. But I do agree with John Dean, this is much worse than Watergate. Much.

So The Year in Review:
{{ Watergate Summer's First Year in Review, and yes, it is going to be published, I am still picking out favorites from every month, if anyone wants to select , feel free.It is still being pulled together....So Here are some Highlights... But I will be honest if Anyone has favorites please let me know for The Book. }}

August:
I was very pissed at King Fuckard taking so much godamn Vacation Time , so there are quite a few letters to Dear Leader that first Month. And then I blogged of course about Camp Casey and Wonderful-Mom-of-Steel Cindy and of course the War. And then Low and behold the end of August 2005 The Katrina Disaster happened- and I Blogged it ( hell I flogged it and FEMA).

September:Katrina and more Katrina and not nice letters to the Fearless King George.

October:More On Katrina, Iraq, Plamegate, and Cindy..

November:More on Plamegate, and some pieces of Katrina,
December:Christmas thoughts, as well as Iraq: "Walking Wounded and Roadkill is a post that covers Homelessness and Iraq Vets...

January: " Chinese New Year", and the West Virgina Coal Mine Disaster, and of course a bunch of snotty posts about the damn king.

February:" The Lost Souls and the Souless that Remain In Power", "April 1968", "My grandmother Florence"

March:"It's All Relative" "The Rising" "The King's Delusional SinkHole" " Angels Amoung us".And of course there is "Red Trucks and Water Lies" the Teaser for my other Book SILENT FALLOUT..( over on the blogroll)

April:"Prayers for Sol"

May:" Mothers Day"

June: I have to reccommend "Late Night at the Enigma Cafe", and it is indeed going in the book.It is about Trying to Grow up into something, that means something. And there is a nice post for Fathers Day- short and sweet. And of course the "Worm in the Bottle" and "Watch Rummy Eat Crow".

July: The Enigma got a little hooked on YouTube, and took a bit of a break of hounding 20 Issues at once and flooded the Airwaves and Bloggerland with Tunes. But some of the choice posts include: "Baking in the Sun" ( The Toupee Tragedy), and of course slightly rude "Slavery,Table Manners & Pigs". And of course "The Whole World is Watching" on a more serious note.

August:"Dancing in Reality" and "Meet me on the Veranda" two posts that are not quite what they seem...and worth a look.

This Blog led to other blogs that I assembled to meet different Needs of the Day. There Was the Plamegate Timeline Blog- so we could all Follow the Fritz Intricate Manuveurs. ( also on the Blogroll)

There was NOLACARE which was to help NOLA workers down in the Katrina Zone...
( I also sent medical supplies to the VETS for Peace to use in NOLA and quanities of baby formula to the Astrodome and Shelters in Louisiana...but I was worried about the workers and the reporters in the Zone not knowing Enough to care for themselves.)

But mostly this Blog became a Coffee Shop - the Enigma Cafe, I am not even sure who started calling it that , but it took on a life of it's own. And the Regulars became more of the Fabric than the actual blog- and I love that. I love the pithy comments and banter and dialogue, there is comfort, humor and Real Discussions ongoing. It is in essence a Real Community of Real People that I cherish....

So this my Thank You in many ways...

26 comments:

Peacechick Mary said...

Happy, happy birthday Enigma! I hope your blog is the one that we look at in retrospect as being the one that turned the tide here in America. Thank you. We need you.

jen said...

Happy happy birthday! Make a wish, you surely deserve it to come true! Big hugs and "for she's a jolly good fella!"

Cassandra Complex said...

won't you please come to camp casey? no one else can take your place.

Granny said...

Happy Birthday to the Engima Cafe.

May it celebrate many more.

enigma4ever said...

PEACECHICK: I would be love to one of the Blogs that helps turn our country round...and part of the Ebb Tide that does it...yeah....( but is up to ALL of us...I guess we know that).

Granny: I hope it will celebrate MANY more...but you know that first year is the real hurdle...( I think Your First is fast upon us isn't it?)

JENNY: Big Hugs to you too...and yup..let's celebrate!!!! More cake?

CASSNADRA: I love the "Curb your God " sign, ain't it the Truth? WOW...and such a really nice Invitation to Camp Casey...wow..that would be something...( I think there will be plenty there...but what a nice thing to say...made the ol'enigma tear up here..) I am there in Spirit that is for sure....( I tried to email you or figure out your Blog and I got a bit lost- so stop back and leave your email okay?)....I will follow the Camp Casey on Truthout,unless there is a better Blog to follow...

Richard said...

Here's wishing you & your blog a very happy birthday, Enigma. And may you have many, many more of 'em!

Anonymous said...

hmmm, a blog birthday celebration, huh? OK, since I recently read Hunter Thompson's "The Rum Diaries", let me conjure his ghost to offer everyone this PUNCH: Ask the nice people who prepared the tropical punch to pour you a glass with ice & twist of lime. Discreetly pour out the punch into the nearest foilage (all you needed was the ice, lime & CUP). Fill it up with your own Appleton Estate Extra (a fine golden rum from Jamaica). Let the ice melt a little, swirl & sip. Repeat as necessary, procuring fresh ice often. Food is optional, but so as not to be rude, always take what's offered & pass along to the resident dog & cat.

Enigma, I'm so glad your blog has survived! You truly represent the heart & soul of blogland to me. And let's hope we can all fall in love with our country again someday soon! D.K.

Rory Shock said...

happy birthday dear watergate summer ... so glad your here/there/everywhere

enigma4ever said...

Rory....thanks..and yup...here...there and everywhere... would you like some cake????

Rory Shock said...

yes indeedy

enigma4ever said...

Oooops It looks like I need to cut Richard and Dk an extra piece too...Thanks for the Birthday Wishes folks...

PTCruiser said...

Happy Birthday, E4E! I just wanted to thank you for introducing me to some really great bloggers like Pissed off Patricia, Mr. Shock and Rex Kramer, to name but a few. I'm looking forward to many more years of the Enigma Cafe. What a nice place to stop by while cruising the blogosphere. This also makes me look forward to my own slowly approaching anniversary date. Peace, Sister.

Beth said...

Oh thank you so much for being such a great presence Enigma. Happy 1 year. Mine is coming up soon too.

Peace to you always.

sumo said...

Happy Birthday to the Enigma Cafe that serves the best coffee in the blogsphere. Still have some cake left?

Colette said...

A very happy birthday to the Enigma Cafe - I am so glad we 'stumbled across' one another. Your blog is marvelous and so are you!

Always,
Colette

Anonymous said...

I suppose I should have taken advantage of the lull in your blogging action earlier this summer to catalog some favorite entries from your archives...now that you're back with a vengeance, I'll probably never catch up...anyway...

8/14 - Day 14 of King George's Vacation
8/20 - How Dare the Media Swiftboat Cindy or any Mom
10/14 - Missing Numbers
10/26 - Looking for Heroes and Hope in the Land of Corruption

Graeme said...

nice work. Happy b-day

enigma4ever said...

Some Maine Friend: Thank you- those have been noted and filed for the Editor ;-)
( heavens this time a year ago - or early fall I think you were one of my two readers ;-)
Many hugs....

Graeme: thanks...coffee and CAKE dear ?

SUMO: ALWAYS Cake for you;-)

LIZZY: Thank you so muich for all your hard blogging work as well- we all are making a difference- I believe that ..LAMONT>>>LAMONT....YAY!!!!!!

Colette: I am so glad that we stumbled onto each others blogs...Have some more cake dear...

PT Cruiser: I am so glad that all of us have found each other...when I come to the Blog at the end of the day I feel like I am coming Home...Home to a bunch of good friends...I can't wait to go check on the other blogs and see how everyone is, and what everyone is thinking about...It is Family- without the Disfunction....thank heavens...

Anonymous said...

haha, nope, I didn't stumble into the cafe until the depths of january...your blog looked like the big time with 50, 60 or 70 comments on a post...speaking of big time, this article from the Boston Globe archives makes note of the political influence that bloggers are building and the effect they are having on grass roots politics...i'd definitely put you in that category..."politics is the art of controlling your environment" HST

eProf2 said...

Enigma, the blue funk was over when I saw the results from CT. Even posted a warning to our Democratic candidate here in AZ for the US Senate asking him if he watched and listened to what happened to Lieberman last night. Dem's had better get on message and lead the American public (60 percent of whom are opposed to the war) out of our mess in the middle-east and try to restore our image around the world as well as address major issues here at home.

meldonna said...

Happy Birthday to you,
We live in a zoo,
The Preznit's a monkey,
And Cheney'll shoot you, too!

Congrats, girlfriend. It's been a great year, not in a small part because I have this good conversation to look forward to online. Anger and laughter are both cathartic; thanks for letting me be part of the Family. Looking forward to more...

...and many more!!!!! ;)

enigma4ever said...

THE GREAT KVATCH, THE GREAT PROF, THE GREAT MEL, THE GREAT MAINE FRIEND, AND OF COURSE THE GREAT GLENDA-
WE HAVE INDEED HAD A GREAT YEAR AND HANGING OUT THE ENIGMA CAFE HAS INDEED KEPT ME ( HMM, I ALMOST SAID SANE- THAT WOULD NOT BE ACCURATE)...BUT IT HAS KEPT ME THINKING AND LAUGHING AND BELIEVING IN HUMANITY.YOU ALL ARE TRULY GOOD FOLKS...SALT OF THE EARTH.

azgoddess said...

happy b-day a bit late - but that's ok cuz i just found ya! thanks for the great blog!

enigma4ever said...

Goddess:I am just glad that you found us...and yup party is still on...so have some cake ..hang out..have a good time- good folks here....

enigma4ever said...

Dear BF...thanks for coming by good to see you...have some cake....

gugon said...

Happy Birthday!