Wednesday, December 20, 2006

THE CHRISTMAS SHOES



In an earlier post I wrote about my Grandmother, Florence. I still miss her, and she has been gone for 20 years.
She died when she was 71, I was a young bride, a nurse living in Vermont when she died. I was a child of 1960's and she was a big piece of my Growing Up Years. I learned Everything from her.(You can read my post from last year if you clink the title).
I placed this post between her two favorite Christmas songs.

She was Many Things.
Unconditional Love.
Love Notes in Pockets.
Juicy fruit and Peppermint lifesavers.
"White Shoulders perfume"
Silk not Cotten. Cashmere sweaters.
Linen Suits and Italian Shoes.
Yelow roses with dew.
Beautiful smokey grey eyes.
Wavey Auburn hair that had copper highlights in the sun.
Slowdancing with my Grandad...Nat King Cole and Johnny Mathis.
Moonlight Sinata and Pachabel and Handel.
Beautiful White goatskin golf shoes, with lavender trim.

She loved golf, getting up early and walking the greens. She never got good at golf, she was not the most competitive person, she enjoyed being outside with friends. She had emphysema and they moved to Florida for her health, where they also played golf to help her lungs. She would end up battling Breast and Lung Cancer.

In the 1980's I did my best to help her battle her Cancers and then helped her find Hospice Care. In November 21 years ago I went to see her and take my new Husband ( my sweet Ex) and we joked about the Ice in Vermont and having to walk up and down icey streets to the Hospital to work. She joked that her golf shoes would work well, that the spikes would do fine on the ice. I didn't think anything of it, until later, much later when Christmas 1987 came and I recived a package. I was happy to see it looked like a shoebox. It was Christmas eve. Flo and I had always shared shoes, I wear 10AAA, not a normal shoe size, but the same size as my elegant sophistcated grandmother, and when she got tired of different shoes she would send them my way. That cold icey December day on the Front steps of my apartment building and realized that she had sent me shoes, feeling warm and loved in that moment, just like I had numerous times. Then I opend the box and saw the beautiful white leather shoes, and also felt my heart sink because I knew that She was Gone. It was my Very Best present, I knew that as I sat there crying on the icey steps in the Vermont Snow.

Sadly she died Christmas Eve. A part of me is so sad that she died that close to Christmas, her Favorite Holiday. She loved Christmas, she collected cards and gifts year round. ( Which meant as kids we spent alot of time rooting through her house Searching for the Stash Spots). She had sent out her packages as usual, so she did not think she would not be here. She was battling lung and breast cancer, and she was in Hospice Care at the time. But I know she thought she still had a little time.
She sent Ted my grandad out to the store and she passed. He was so heartbroken. I really believe that it was too hard for her to say goodbye to him, to let him go. And yet a part of me has never let her go either.

Once you have had such a grandmother you can not help but believe in Angels. On Earth and in Heaven.

15 comments:

Anon-Paranoid said...

Sorry to do this too you enigma, but you've been Tagged.

I'll check our your posts later, have to go out for now.

God Bless.

enigma4ever said...

Anon...do you hear someone grumbling and fumbling for their reading glasses and tripping over the beloved cat...yup that would be me...I am not much for these things...but since it is the Lovely Divajood who started all of this....I will have to figure our which book to use- I am reading a few at the same time...but it will be good I promise...

Now the Big question....WHO do I get to TAG ??? hmmmm...

( oh Anon you know I am jus' jokin....please stay and have some nog...on the house love...)

Anon-Paranoid said...

enigma....

I have too run, but will be back in a few days. I'll have time after tomorrow to get a few posts up since I'll be on vacation til after Jan 1.

Catch you later and God Bless you.

Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Enigma,

That is the sweetest saddest Christmas story I have ever read. I am so sorry you lost your grandmother at such a young age.

I am blessed. I came from a family of young breeders and my Mom's folks are still alive. As a matter of fact, my grandmother turns 93 on Friday and on New Year's Eve she and my grandfather celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary.

There is nothing in the world like a good Grandmother.

I was lucky enough to know both of my greatgrandmothers, and we have a picture of five generations when my sister had her baby boy.

Oh, the memories that good Grandparents bring are the best.

Here's to your Grandmother, I am sure she is looking down on you and quite pleased that you sandwiched her between her two favorite Christmas songs.

enigma4ever said...

Ahhh Pursey- Thank you..Flo was wonderful, but I was so lucky to have her and my aunties- Elizabeth, Julia,May ...One by one they left ,most lived long...but the Gifts they gave me are forever....I am so blessed.

Enjoy the music...and the nog...Christmas is about Memories...and remembering the Places and People that mattered.

ANON: So good to see you. Have a Wonderful Christmas...God Bless to you too.

enigma4ever said...

My son just pointed out I should have called this post Christmas Soles....he is right..

sumo said...

That was wonderful to read. I was fortunate to have my Grandmother for a long time. Your son is very astute...and I picked up on that some time ago from the things that you have said. You are fortunate in a son such as he.

enigma4ever said...

I am glad that you too had a wonderful grandmother...special thing to have..and yup 6-6 is a wonder....love him to pieces you know it...

Dada said...

Enigma: God I love your story. Unlike pursey tuttweiler who comes from a family of young breeders, I happened along practically post menopausal--an accident that was just waiting to happen, hence, both my grandmothers were long gone before I arrived. But your wonderful post here, e4, helps me capture a bit of what I missed. TY for sharing such a beautiful story!

Coffee Messiah said...

Beautiful story!
I firmly believe, both my grandparents, in their way, showed me (I felt like I spent more time with them than my parents)
not only how to some of lifes worst tests, but also how to be a loving person, without chains or expectations.
They are truly missed, especially when I never knew them as an adult ; (

Coffee Messiah said...

I meant knew them when I was an adult!

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a beautiful person. I'd bet she's still visiting at Christmas and the rest of the year, she's playing Heaven's greens.... barefoot!

Peacechick Mary said...

That was beautiful and so very touching. It's stories like this that prove we are still human and have hearts because they break occasionally. Peace.

Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Here's lifting a nog to Flo and Elizabeth and Julia and May.

enigma4ever said...

Thanks Pursey or nogging to her- I think she would have been a blogger- she was a great letter writer....

Mary: thank you....hearts..they break , but they also can heal.

Kevin: Heaven's greens barefoot- oh how I love that...wow.
( I know she is..)

CM: a hug to you..and about the Adult thing- does that mean we have to grow up ? I know...

Dada: good to see you...I know you too have some fine women that helped grow you properly ...cause you turned out fine ;-)

Thanks to all...